Furthermore, Wikimedia CH participates in the Swiss Open Government Data Working Group of the Parliamentarian Group for Digital Sustainability, the goal of which is to advance free access to public data, including data held by memory institutions. (See the Blog entry about the kick-off meeting and stay up to date - in German).
Currently the following projects are ongoing or planned:
- Valdensia, Bibliothèque cantonale et universitaire de Lausanne (BCU)
- cooperation with the Swiss Federal Archive
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2011 in Switzerland
- GLAM 2011
A "GLAM Day " took place on the 20th of August 2011 in Prangins (near Nyon). We had two presentations (one from Wikimedia FR about their GLAM experiences and one from Benoit Evellin the "wikipedian resident" in the château de Versailles). The rest of the afternoonheld public debat on the different possibilities to develop GLAM projects in Switzerland.
already contacted or better access desireable
- Bundesarchiv/Archives fédérales , Bern
- Schweizerisches Landesmuseum , Zürich (photos not allowed, webcollection online)
- Tinguely Museum , Basel
- Zentralbibliothek , Zürich
- Musée d'Art et d'Histoire , Neuchâtel
- Laténium , Hauterive
- Kartensammlung Ryhiner , Bern (Maarten Dammers and others already did some inquiries)
- Virtual Manuscript Library of Switzerland (e-codices)
- Nationalbibliothek/Bibliothèque nationale , Bern
- Staatsarchive/Archives de l'Etat: GR , ZH , SZ , FR
benefits of a cooperation
- interactive view of rosetta stone
- rossetta stone foto without backlink to the british museum - somebody else took the picture and gets the credit. see also for the license. we do not have yet a link to a page where this image gets used and the author is referred as well.
- foto with description , in multiple languages, original description, license, deep backlink to archive.
some useful tools - we should have an example with an objet for every of this:
- GLAMorous , a tool to keep track of Commons images used on other projects.
- BaGLAMa , a tool to show monthy pages views, for pages using images in a Commons category tree (precalculated).
- TreeViews , a tool to show monthly page views, for Wikipedia category trees.
- LinkWidget , a tool that allows you to embed Wikipedia articles in your own website
events which worked well:
- "Backstage Pass" event at the British Museum - see the "results of the day" section at the bottom
- "Editing Challenge" at the British Museum
other museums pages:
- the general British Museum page
- The Bundesarchiv image donation page
- The more recent Queensland Museum donation (with better statistics)
how to contribute
the following possibilities are known:
- provide the material on a http/ftp server for download by wikimedia
- send the material onto a wikimedia server on request
- single edit on wikimedia commons
to facilitate mass uploads the following pages might help:
Some already existing examples
- w:commons:User:Rama/Château_de_Morges , by Rama Neko
Picture Donations from Switzerland in the Past
Source: Outreach Wiki - GLAM - Projects & Events - check out regularly for mutual update!
- Picswiss, Switzerland (only a very little fraction of the pictures have GLAM character)
- Erling Mandelmann, Switzerland
- International Union for Conservation of Nature, Switzerland
- SIG Digital Heritage, Schweizer Informatikgesellschaft
- http://en.memoriav.ch/ , restauration/archivation of material
specific to public sector data, at least partially:
- AT: http://gov.opendata.at
- CH: http://www.digitale-nachhaltigkeit.ch
- DE: http://opendata-network.org
- US: http://www.data.gov
- GLAM - Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums